Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Pumpkin Cheese Ball

Last week I made a couple of appetizers for a friend for an open house event to usher in the fall/Thanksgiving season.

One of these was a Pumpkin Cheese Ball.  Based on her idea, I searched for a recipe, although I don't remember now where I found this particular one.

Before anyone turns their nose up at the idea of a pumpkin-filled cheese ball, let me assure you that it contains no pumpkin.  It just looks like one.  The taste of it actually reminds me of a Mexican taco dip.

This is a really nice little appetizer for your fall festivities.  It tastes wonderful and looks really cute surrounded on a pretty plate with assorted crackers, fresh veggies, or maybe those blue taco chips (my favorite!).

While I didn't take step-by-step photos when I made it, I did take one of the finished product prior to delivering it.

Isn't it pretty?
 

Give this one a try.  It's simple, looks unique and tastes great.
 
Here's the recipe:
 
Ingredients
 
2 8-oz. pkgs. cream cheese, softened
1 8-oz. pkg. extra sharp Cheddar cheese (a little over 2 cups shredded)
3 tbsp. finely chopped onion
1/2 cup chunky salsa
1 tsp. ground cumin
2 cups Doritos, crumbled
1 green bell pepper with stem
 
Directions
 
Using a stand mixer, combine the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, onion, salsa and cumin.  Beat well until completely combined and creamy.
 
Scoop the mixture out of the bowl onto plastic wrap.  Shape it into a ball, securing with the plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
 
Just prior to serving, roll the chilled ball in crushed Doritos until completely covered.
 
Remove the stem from the bell pepper and press lightly onto the top of the ball.  Reserve the remainder of the pepper for another use or discard.
 
Notes
 
  • Grate your own cheese instead of using pre-shredded.  The ball will hold together better.
  • I used one medium Vidalia onion, diced finely in my mini-chopper.  You may opt for an onion with a stronger taste.
  • Add finely diced jalapeno (1 teaspoon or to taste) for a little more heat.
  • I used mild salsa.  Medium, of course, would add a little more kick.
  • I placed the (nacho cheese) Dorito chips on a baking sheet (to contain the crumbs) and crushed them using a rolling pin.  You may have to press some of the crumbs into the bare spots on the cheese ball with your fingers as you work with it.
  • Instead of using a bell pepper stem, you can use the stem end of a jalapeno, or even a cut piece of celery with a few of the celery leaves placed around it.
 
The photo above shows the cheese ball on a 6" saucer. 
 
I really hope you guys like this one.  My friend received many compliments on it at her event.
 
Enjoy!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment