Friday, November 15, 2013

Squash Dressing

I love cornbread dressing.  It is one of many reasons that I look forward to the Thanksgiving holiday.

My dad makes really good dressing...not too tight, not too loose...and sometimes we freeze it in 8x8 pans so we can enjoy a little taste of the holiday throughout the year.  (Of course, I have to have cranberry sauce alongside it!)  I try not to eat too much of it during the year, though, because it is such a prominent component of the Thanksgiving meal. 

So, in order to satisfy my taste for it during the rest of the year, I like to make squash dressing instead.  It has a lighter texture than the traditional holiday dressing. This is a great way to use up all that extra yellow squash that you may have left over from your summer garden after you've given some of it to everyone you know.

This is a two step process.  Make the cornbread first (you can make it the day before, if you wish) and then proceed with the dressing recipe.

The cornbread recipe I use is from an older Southern Living holiday cookbook.  It is really easy and has a lighter texture than some other cornbread recipes I've tried.

Buttermilk Cornbread

Preheat oven to 450F.  Place a well-greased 9" cast-iron skillet in the oven for 5 minutes or until hot.

Note:  Do not forget how hot the skillet is!  I grabbed the handle twice with no oven mitt on my hand.  I assure you, it was not a pleasant feeling.






Combine 2 cups self-rising cornmeal, 1 3/4 cups buttermilk, 1/4 cup vegetable oil, 1 tablespoon sugar, and 1 large egg (lightly beaten).  Mix well.  You should be able to pour the batter into the pan.

(If you don't have buttermilk on hand, add 1 tablespoon vinegar per 1 cup of milk and let stand 5-10 minutes.)





Pour the batter into the hot skillet.  It will sizzle a bit when it hits the heated pan.












Bake for 23-25 minutes at 450F or until golden brown.












Let cool and crumble.














Squash Dressing


A few pieces of zucchini squash joined the fun.
Dice or thinly slice 4-5 medium yellow squash and chop one small onion.  Cook together in water for 10-15 minutes or until tender.  Drain.  This should yield 2 cups of cooked squash.











Combine the 2 cups of hot squash with 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter in a large mixing bowl, stirring to melt the butter.












The third egg is camera-shy.
Add 3 eggs and mix well.
















Mix in 2 cups of the crumbled cornbread and 1 can cream of chicken soup.  It's okay to add a little extra cornbread if you have some remaining.











Place in a 1-1/2 quart baking dish. 

I have never known how to translate that dish size, and I didn't feel like unloading the tower of casserole dishes in my cabinet to find out which one to use, so I used an 8x8 glass Pyrex dish instead.








Bake at 350F for 45-50 minutes.  I baked this for 40 minutes, but I am still adjusting to using glass cookware instead of aluminum pans, and I didn't want to burn the bottom.

I have since learned that, when baking in a glass dish, you should reduce the temperature specified in the recipe by 25 degrees.  I should have cooked this at 325F for the full time.




Yum!
It was still quite good.















I love this recipe so much that I made a triple batch so I could freeze some for later.  This yielded (including the one I baked) 4 1/2 quarts.

I used one quart in my 8x8 pan, which is the same amount I used in the casseroles that I sold at the restaurant.






I used microwave- and freezer-safe pint and quart containers for storing in the freezer, but you can use disposable aluminum foil pans just as easily.  Cover pans with aluminum foil, label the casserole with the description and date prepared, and place in a 1-gallon freezer zip-top bag.

Maybe this could become one of your own family favorites!

Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment